Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Bowl of Grapes 2

Whether it be to failure or success, the first need of being is endurance ~ to endure with gladness if we can, with fortitude in any event.

Bliss Carman

It is amazing to me what one little bit of knowledge will do to change things drastically. I am contemplating buying a video painting workshop on color. The free introductory lesson taught me that the part of anything in shadow will have a touch of color that is opposite its main color on a color wheel. For example, the shadow side of the swans were grayish-purple. The shadow side of the grapes, above, therefore, would be reddish, orange. I'm not as brave as I know I should be but I'm working up to more and more contrasts in my paintings. That's what makes them pop. Anyway, the grapes are done for now ~ on to the pears!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice work on the shadows!