Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Progress!

Do not wish to be anything but what you are, and try to be that perfectly.

St. Francis de Sales


As I have written earlier I am very happy with my art instructor ~ he's insightful, supportive, and has a wonderful eye. This past week I took the three paintings in this post to class for his advice. Unfortunately, his wife was ill and we had a substitute ~ a wonderful teacher also. She looked at my paintings and declared me a "Renaissance painter." My heart soared. Now I know what I aspire to be! Renaissance art emerged about 1400 in Italy (that's why I feel so drawn to Italy, I'm sure ~ it is by far the most beautiful place I have had the privilege to visit). To me Renaissance art is closely associated with the classical painting done by the late 19th century masters. One of the best sites to visit to learn more about these artists and what is being done to preserve their work is the Art Renewal Center. It is well worth a visit. Anyway, it's nice to have a direction at last ~ one never knows how one comment can change another person's life!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All very nice. Particularly like the handle on the urn and the sail on the ship.