Tuesday, July 5, 2011



If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

H. L. Mencken

Known for their ability to never forget, elephants seem amazingly calm. If they are really remembering everything they have clearly found a way to deal with their past. They seem to know how to live in the present and let their hurts and cares of yesterday behind. What a great outlook to have! I have decided to do a series of drawings of elephants. My thanks to Wet Canvas for this great photograph. An extreme close-up, it's going to rely heavily on getting each wrinkle in place and then a great deal of shading to give his face some depth. I am working with only graphite pencil but will probably add a little bit of charcoal at the end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice work with the eye.