Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Monochromatic Master Copy Painting

To a true artist only that face is beautiful which, quite apart from its exterior, shines with the truth within the soul.

                  Mahatma Gandhi

 The first exercise I have attempted out of Juliette Aristedes Classical Painting book is to try my hand at a monochromatic master copy painting.  I chose Marie Genevieve Bouliard's self-portrait for many reasons but mainly because I have long wanted to try my hand at portrait painting and thought using a very limited palette might make the process a little easier.  For my painting above I used only zinc white, ivory black, burnt sienna, and burnt umber.  I mixed a value range from 1 to 10.  Although my Genevieve doesn't look so much like the original Genevieve I was happy with the overall result.  I was more than amazed at how only two colors with the addition of black and white produced such a range of depth in the final piece. 

The next chapter discusses value ~ very interesting!  According to Ms. Aristedes "the portrayal of light and shadow is itself one of the driving forces behind most successful works of art ~ infinitely greater than the most carefully rendered inventory of objects."  Sounds to me she wouldn't be too disappointed in my Genevieve either.  I am still going back to my drawing board, however, as my ultimate goal is to paint paintings that actually look like the subject!

No comments: