Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Shoe Drawing

The simple things are also the most extraordinary things and only the wise can see them.

                            Paul Coehlo

 The top photograph shows the initial drawing of the shoes done in 2B graphite pencil.  I used a few graph lines to find my major points and then measured off from them to get the rest of the outline.  After getting a fairly accurate drawing I went back and retraced it adding a few more lines with a 2B charcoal pencil.  After 2 hours in I now am ready to start adding the finer lines and some shading.  It has been a long time since I have put so much work into a drawing ~ forgot how much work they can be but also how enjoyable they are to do.

As for my work with Juliette Aristides' book I am continuing the chapter on composition ~ tackling the concept of root rectangles.  This is another system used by the classical artists to create harmonic divisions within their paintings.  Using geometric principles a different armature from the armature of the rectangle can be made ~ again providing an endless variety of compositions.  It is suggested to study the compositions of past master paintings in order to familiarize oneself with the structure of the piece.  Sounds like a trip to the art museum to me!


No comments: