Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Values

Learn to look at shapes and values, not things... switch over to the right brain's understanding of spatial relationships, instead of depending on the left brain technical skills.

               Laurel Weathersbee

        This past Friday I attended an open studio at Crealde Art School in Orlando.  Nineteen people crammed into one small space to take advantage of a great opportunity to work with a lovely model.  It was fascinating to walk around the room and see the different styles of work and the various techniques being employed ~ amazing what one can learn by watching someone else.  It was also a  great chance to try some of the things about value that I have been reading about in Juliette Aristedes' book.  There is a long way to go in developing my technique but I am starting to get the idea.  The open studio was only three hours so I worked on this a bit more after I got it home.  This coming week I will go again but there will be a different model ~ am anxious to try again.  Maybe I will even be able to do that switch Ms. Weathersbee is talking about!


No comments: