Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Solitude

To dare to live alone is the rarest courage; since there are many who had rather meet their bitterest enemy in the field, than their own hearts in their closet.

                                        Charles Caleb Colton

 I started this painting at least five years ago.  Hours and hours went into painting those rocks until I couldn't look at them any more.  Into the corner this one went to join other unfinished projects.  It stares at me forlornly every time I walk into my studio.  Finally this past week I stuck it up on my easel and did a little work on the sky and added the mountain on the left.  It seems like such a lonely place.  I believe it is called Peg's Cove.  I know I copied it from a photograph of a painting from some magazine.  Of course, the photograph is somewhere but after three moves in five years I can't put my finger on it.  Anyway, my idea is not to copy any more but to use it as a base painting for ideas and techniques I have picked up since I first started it.  So off we go!  It looks like such a lonely place so for now I am calling it Solitude.  Maybe I'll put a few people in the boat and a dog by the house.  Maybe.

No comments: