Friday, December 11, 2015

The Red Sheet

     The world is a looking glass and gives back to every man the reflection of his own face.

                                                             William Makepeace Thackeray

 Since this blog is called One Artist's Journey I have decided to go back and start posting some of my works in progress.  This is the next drawing of a woman done in charcoal pencils and red colored pencils.  Her face is wrong, wrong, wrong.  Somehow I have managed to put her nose as if it is being seen in a full frontal view.  Hopefully, in the next session I will be able to give her a nose job.  That should help with another problem I see ~ her eyes.  As it is now they look too close together as their placement on her face don't agree with the way her nose looks.  Basically there are two different perspectives which leads the eye to be confused.  I am also having trouble with the shadows in her wrap.  Even though I was trying to stick to only using red pencils it looks as if I am going to have to add some purple in the shadows to give it more dimension.  There is red in purple so I am only breaking my made-up rule a little!  Looking at the picture as a whole, I also think I have way overworked her face.  I like the gentle shading on her body so will try to erase some of my darker lines when I get back to her features.  Anyway, there is a long, long way to go on this one but thought I would put it up now to show how things are constantly being worked and reworked.   Привет

No comments: