Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Key West Rooster 4


Slow down. Take long looks at everything. Single many things out for grateful consideration.
Marcina Wiederkehr

If you could understand a single grain of wheat you would die of wonder.
Martin Luther

I have reached the point now with this painting where I am checking details. They are, of course, countless. But the more I fuss with it, the more little dabs I put here and there, the more alive not just the rooster, but the whole composition, becomes. Its why I love to paint ~ it makes me slow down and see. When I walked out of my first painting class, I literally stood in the parking lot and looked at the world around me like I had never seen it before. Ludwig Mies van der Rohe was right on when he claimed "God is in the details." I will probably only visit this painting a couple of more times but it would be just as easy to come back to it a thousand times.
I like "seeing" that much.

No comments: