Thursday, June 5, 2008

Sunflowers 4


I've always wanted to paint portraits. To me the human face is the most beautiful thing in the world. However, I've always been intimidated by the complexity involved ~ not just the physical form but the emotional component that's a part of every face. While I was working on the sunflowers today I came to realize that they are faces as well ~ each one with it's own unique personality, each manifesting it's individuality. Henry Ward Beecher says it better than I can ~ "Flowers have an expression of countenance as much as men or animals. Some seem to smile, some have a sad expression, some are pensive and diffident, others again are plain honest and upright." I'm still a long way from getting all the facial expressions even close on these beautiful flowers but I do feel I'm getting to know each one a little better.

No comments: