Friday, May 21, 2010

The Mating Game 10

If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the attraction of earth.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Feathers! Feathers! Feathers! I don't know how to paint them. Today I worked a long time on the swans. While I feel I have the shadowing in pretty well I would like to see much more definition within the feathers. The problem here is a continuity of style. While I acquiesced to my teacher and added lots of detail to the water overall the painting style is smooth and blended strokes. My original idea was to have strong and heavy strokes when I got to the feathers. I'm not sure this is going to fly with my teacher. So far I've been happy following his advice ~ can't wait to see what he says about mixing of painting techniques on one canvas. Also, I can already here him telling me to get more contrast in the swan's bodies. I know the one on the bottom needs more work ~ my arm just gave out.

No comments: