Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Mating Game 7

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.

William Butler Yeats

I've spent about eight hours on this since my last class working only on the water. The big question in class tomorrow will be how much more to put in. I like how still the water looks ~ it adds a real touch of serenity to the entire painting. I want the energy to come from the tension between the three swans. I'm guessing though that my teacher will want me to add some motion to the water. The beauty of oil paint is that I can try it and if it doesn't work just cover it up again. Painting the water like this took a tremendous amount of blending ~ no harsh edges between the different colors. Unfortunately I broke my favorite little blending brush ~ fortunately that means a trip to the art supply store.

No comments: