Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Backward Glance


On our recent visit to St. Augustine we wandered into a used book store where I came across a fabulous book of historic costumes. I fell in love with the couple on the left dressed in their empire style outfits from the early 19th century. I decided to put them standing on a checkerboard marble floor with heavy drapery framing them. Although I have heard numerous lectures on perspective, sketching the floor gave me more than a little trouble. After quite a bit of trial and error pages I was definitely ready to forgo the whole idea. Anyway, I think I've got it just about where I want it so I sketched it on to the canvas. This painting, project number 5 for this blog, will be the biggest painting I've attempted ~ 30 x 36 so there might be some further changes to the layout. It was the glance that sold me though ~ what is she looking back at ~ the handsome footman, the table laden with desserts, her giggling girlfriends?

No comments: