Thursday, May 1, 2008

White Tulips 2


Today seemed like the perfect day to revisit White Tulips. I was anxious to try out my new tube of Chinese white watercolor. Although I probably should have masked in the tulips and got to them after I did the background, I couldn't resist starting with them. I justified this decision by telling myself that one always starts watercolors with the light colors first. Anyway, I think they'll be fine. I then masked in the small patterns on the blue and green fabrics with some Grumbacher Miskit. Although its difficult to see at this point I finished up by painting the white fabric to the right of the tulips. Using some Payne's grey and yellow ochre mixed in the the Chinese white I was able to start to define some of the shadows in the drapery. Since there are such distinct sections to this painting its easy to work on one section at a time rather than approaching the painting as a whole. It helps a lot, though, to have the photograph to work from just to keep the composition in mind.

No comments: