Wednesday, October 14, 2015

One of the recognizable features of the authentic masterpiece is its capacity to renew itself, to endure the loss of some kinds of immediate relevance while still answering the most important questions men can ask, including new ones they are just learning how to frame.

                                                   Arnold Stein

 Last week I had a wonderful opportunity to visit the National Gallery of Art.  Washington, D.C. is beautiful this time of the year.  After a lovely stroll from Union Station past the Capitol and the Reflecting Pool the icing on the cake was standing before so many of the old master paintings the gallery offers.  I was so inspired by everything I saw that I spent the next day all day in the hotel room working on this drawing.  I was so happy that I had packed my pencils and this drawing to work on.  Usually I just bring along a few pencils and a sketch pad when I travel but this time knowing that I would get a chance to have some time to work I brought this project along.  Anyway, as you can see I did go ahead and make the scarf red and even added a little blue to her eyes.  Not quite sure if this is finished yet ~ now that I am home I might possibly use some charcoal to darken some of the shadows and her coat.  For now, though, I am going to put this sad little lady in the corner and grab my paints.  I have been reading about the Flemish method and am anxious to give it a try.

No comments: