Saturday, February 7, 2009

Flowering Branch


A work of art cannot be satisfied with being a representation; it should be a presentation.

Jacques Reverdy

Jacques Reverdy to my mind is right on when he says that art should be a presentation rather than a representation. Artists are interpreters. They look at what is actually there and then present it as they see it. I love realistic paintings. I love beautiful photographs. To me they are both artistic endeavors. I consider both of them art forms. The photographer using his creative talent uses his camera much the same way the painter uses his brush. Each one using his interpretative way of seeing things changes what is actually in front of him to what he or she wants the viewer to actually visually experience.

I am trying a new techique in this small painting pictured above. I first gessoed the canvas using white acrylic gesso. I then did a detailed drawing of the flowering branch with graphite. To seal the drawing I put a fine wash of thinned gesso tinted with yellow ochre. Hopefully, this will keep the drawing from smudging when I start to actually paint. In keeping with Reverdy's way of thinking I'm hoping to be a little freer in my work even though the drawing is so exact. Should be fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh talented and spirtual Peggy...
I am thrilled to revisit your "artist's journey".
Your art-work and words are awe-inspiring.
Your life perspective is filled with wonder and wisdom.
Thanks for sharing it.

Love, Your yoga buddy...Lynn
ps. Sending cyber-hugs, love and laughter your way...