Tuesday, July 16, 2013






It is not necessarily those lands which are the most fertile or most favored climate that seem to me the happiest, but those in which a long stroke of adaptation between man and his environment has brought out the best qualities of both.

                                T. S. Elliot

Before I comment on the painting above I would like to mention an on-line practice community I have recently joined.  Developed by Paul Foxton this site (creativetriggers.com) provides an excellent way to not only improve one's drawing techniques but to make drawing a daily habit.  In Paul's words Creative Triggers offers an "effective way to practice regularly and a structure to learn within."  I highly recommend you check it out.

This little painting above is still a work in progress.  I am still trying to concentrate on getting some really darks into my work.  The dark greenery surrounding the lighthouse really provides a wonderful contrast with the literally "light" house.  My goal now is to tighten up some of the lines in the structure while leaving the sky and landscape brushwork loose.  Even with such a cloudy sky I also want to convey a feeling of peace and serenity to this isolated space.  To me it seems the light house is so at home with its surroundings that it actually feels as if it grew there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great clouds. Very southern