Thursday, July 18, 2013






One of the most difficult things to do is to paint darkness which nonetheless has light in it.

                               Vincent van Gogh
 
This is another little painting I have started to work on attempting to get some really darks in to contrast with bright highlights.  Yesterday I had to paint over all the flowers that will be cascading out on the right hand side ~ first they were too light, then they were too dark, and then they were mud!  I realized too late that I needed to concentrate on the light source to figure out where the deepest shadows should be and the brightest highlights.  I am working from a photograph which doesn't show nearly the contrasts that I am aiming for.  I'll give it a few days to dry and will try again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The shadows make this painting. Keep it up!