Wednesday, July 16, 2008

On My Easel

Have a place for everything and keep the things somewheres else. That is not advice, it is merely custom.
Mark Twain

Since two of the five original projects I began for this blog are now finished, I have decided to start posting some of the other things I am working on. This is a small painting of a canal in Venice. I am (was) working from a photograph of an old etching. Last week I spent a couple of days cleaning out and organizing my studio ~ right down to sharpening every pencil. Today when I went to my source file the photograph I needed wasn't there. Oh well, since the etching was, of course, in black and white I was on my own for the color anyway. One of my art teachers told me that it's really important to get the basics on the canvas right off the bat so if you lose what you're working from it won't matter that much. I guess he read Mark Twain too.

No comments: