Monday, July 7, 2008

White Tulilps 6


Until I saw Chardin's painting, I never realized how much beauty lay around me in my parents' house, in the half-cleared table, in the corner of a tablecloth left awry, in the knife beside the empty oyster shell.
Marcel Proust

These pieces of fabric came out of my old quilting bin ~ the flowers are artificial bought at a craft store ~ and the vase is an old milk bottle we found in the attic of our old house in Baltimore. Nothing fancy or expensive here. But when I look at this painting, it reminds me of happy hours at my sewing machine, shopping trips with my sister, and the house where I raised my girls. To me it's one of the most beautiful paintings I've done so far even though there's still quite a bit left to do. That's what a piece of art should do ~ speak to your heart.

No comments: