Monday, June 9, 2008

The Backward Glance 4


Today I decided to work on the soldier's uniform so I squeezed out some black, grey, and white paint. All I wanted to do was paint a dark outfit. Not as easy as one might think.

"One of the most difficult things to do is to paint darkness which nonetheless has light in it."
Vincent van Gogh

Anyway, I've made a start and am actually not that unhappy with it. I couldn't resist adding the red pom-pom to the hat. That's the red I'm hoping to sell it with ~ not the curtains which I intend to tone way down at a later point.

There's also the question of what color to make the dress since I'm working from a black and white picture ~ something to contrast nicely with the black uniform but also something that's not going to fade into the balcony wall. Right now not just the curtains but the sky and the white in the floor are way too bright. Hopefully, after they're all toned down a bit, a lighter color for the dress will work. This is definitely a special night and a special place so the dress has to be especially fancy even if she's not happy to be there. What is she looking at?

This past weekend I came across a very interesting website that claims, among other things, that every painting should tell a story. If you are a big fan of modern art don't go near this site ~ if you're not this one is for you ~ http://www.artrenewal.org

No comments: