Friday, June 27, 2008

The Backward Glance 5

Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Well, if the above quote has any truth to it, this young couple is in deep trouble. She obviously is not interested in what he's looking at, and he doesn't appear as if he's even noticed he's lost her. At any rate, I've started darkening up the curtains while still allowing the red tones to come through. I also darkened the top of the sky while keeping the bottom lighter to make it appear as if light is being reflected up from below. My critic suggested a dark green for the dress and while I'm happy with the bottom velvet skirt I'm thinking of making the top a much paler green the next time. And then, there's still the floor! I think it just needs one tiny adjustment to be in alignment but I'm not going to correct it until I'm absolutely sure. By the way, working on this huge canvas has turned into quite a challenge. Today I took it out on the porch and worked kneeling in front of it. I had all my tubes of paint spread around me and unfortunately knelt on an open tube of green. I didn't realize it until my toe slid into something squishy ~ a half of tube of paint smeared on my drop cloth. By the time I got what little I could save into a baggy I looked like a leprechaun. Maybe it's time for a bigger easel.

No comments: