Tuesday, June 10, 2008

White Tulips 5


The secret of being miserable is to have leisure to bother about whether you are happy or not. The cure is occupation.
George Bernard Shaw


Today I was very happily occupied working on this watercolor. However, it will be a long time before I attempt another one like this. Usually not until the third or fourth session does it become necessary to really start tackling fine detail. Due to the unforgiving nature of watercolor, however, these miniature prints needed to be outlined pretty carefully the very first time.

I was getting a little concerned that the tulips were disappearing into the print, but now I've decided that that's exactly what I want to happen. When I set up the still-life in my studio they got lost in all the fabric and became part of the overall composition. The title of the painting is misleading ~ I should have called it something else. Well, let's be honest here. You've probably noticed the outline of the red (!) apple. Maybe I'll change the title to Adam's Downfall.

No comments: