Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Public Speaker 2

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand.

Native American saying

Today I started my art class in Boca and knew right off the bat I had found a great teacher. He looked at my swans and asked me what my plan was. Then he smiled and said "We're going to have a lot of fun with this one". I decided to work on the Public Speaker today, however, simply because I want to get some better photographs of the swans to work from. As you can see I at least got some paint on the entire canvas. Every time the instructor would come by he taught me something new. He gave me some great tips on color mixing and also some pointers on making convincing shadows. He also suggested that next time I use an acrylic underpainting as it is frustrating to have to wait so long for oil to dry between sessions. I have avoided acrylics up until now because I don't think they give the same depth to a painting as oil paint does. Maybe they're worth a try, though. At any rate, it was great to be back in the classroom.

No comments: