Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Public Speaker


























Say what you have to say and the first time you come to a sentence with a grammatical ending ~ sit down.

Winston Churchill


This week I am starting a new class at the Boca Raton Museum of Art School. It will be a real treat to be back in a studio with a group of artists and to have a new teacher. For my project I have decided to do an oil of this drawing I found in a book. Since it is black and white I am on my own as far as color. So far I've sketched it in on the canvas, sizing it up 1 1/2 times and have painted in a background. As I was working it occurred to me that he looked as if he was giving a speech so I have placed him on the edge of a stage. My first question to my new teacher ~ how should the background be handled? Second question ~ how do I tone down the yellow a bit and still keep it light so there will be a striking contrast between the background and his dark coat? Stay tuned.

No comments: