Sunday, May 4, 2008

Russian Girl 2


I spent a lovely few hours this morning on the porch working on the Russian girl. We are becoming very close. As I worked I was thinking a lot about Eckhart Tolle's book The Power of Now. Although there are many things in there that I either don't understand or don't agree with, his premise that we all have an "indestructible essence of our Being" is right on with what I believe. And so, I started thinking about where my Russian girl is now. She's probably in her late 60's and living somewhere in Germany. I hope she continued to live a pampered life that her bow and dress seem to indicate she was enjoying and that she is a happy person now. I wonder if she remained as melancholy as she looks in her photograph. One thing I do know, though, is that her presence goes on and it is an honor for me to get to know her.

I worked today on getting more of the fancy collar sketched in and then began modeling her features. While she has a little girl's face, I think her eyes give the impression that she has experienced much in her young life. There is a harshness there ~ a sense of "I have been touched by adult reality and been forever changed by it" ~ a baby's face with a disturbing hint of innocence lost.

No comments: