Wednesday, May 21, 2008

White Tulips 3


Today I worked on the White Tulips. The dots on the green fabric were a bit of a disappointment. After removing the Miskit I thought a light blue wash would suffice. Unfortunately, it didn't so I went back and painted all the dots on one by one. I'm still not happy with them and will go back later and make each one more distinct.

Once there were six pieces of fabric blocked in it seemed like a good time to try to add some dimension. After several hours of work some of the folds are coming along nicely. But there is definitely still a need for a lot more shading and definition. It probably also wouldn't hurt to look at some examples of drapery paintings before I go much further.

Because watercolor is such a difficult medium to work with I'm very hesitant to add dark shadows so this is going to be a very long and tedious project. Even with my new tube of Chinese white and the Miskit, the possibility of muddying up things is really slowing the process. And, I'm also wavering on my technique ~ soft, transparent washes or straight-from-the-tube opaque color?

No comments: