Friday, May 23, 2008

Russian Girl 3


Today I revisited the Russian Girl to finally give her some hair. The Strathmore charcoal paper I'm working on has some lovely grooves in it that work well for getting a realistic look. I also worked on her dress, particularly the elaborate collar. Charcoal drawing is one of my favorite mediums to work with. Once the basic lines are put down drawing becomes a song and dance of putting down and taking off color. I love that "aha moment" when lifting just a little color off the page produces dimension in the picture. That's why I've saved the best for last. The next time she and I meet again, I will hopefully give this little lady the cherub face she has in her photograph ~ little round pudgy cheeks, a button nose, and slightly pouty lips.

No comments: