Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sunflowers 3




In Thomas Moore's book The Re-Enchantment of Everyday Life he
discusses cultivating the practice of trying to discern the "presence of an invisible personality" in order to bring enchantment to everyday places or things. Brush strokes visible on a canvas, according to Moore, provide a supreme model of the painter's imprint on his work. At a distance a painting is seen as one complete whole ~ only upon close examination do all the thousands of strokes made by the artist become apparent ~ the unique hand work of the artist becomes evident. Such thinking reminds me that although I am trying to become much more free with my painting that each time the brush hits the canvas both the color and the movement are important in conveying my interpretation of the composition.

The latest session with the Sunflowers was spent getting another transparent coat on the whole canvas with a little more attention paid to the upper left corner. While it is still fairly loose, I am also beginning to tighten up some edges. This painting is definitely going to take a lot of time but it is definitely one I am enjoying.

No comments: